Website Testers

Monday, July 27, 2009

Those Weren't The Days!

Remember the year 1865 when Blacks finally came alive

when the Civil war ended so others could survive

to see a new day though still far away from the final destination.


Remember 1873 when the Winchester, Springfield, and Colt set people free

The year the first great recession was teaching everyone a lesson

about why we aren’t really free as long as currency rules the day.


Remember 1914 and World War I and every nation grabbed a gun

When wives lost husbands and only a World War Later she loses a son

now she’s the only one wondering where has all the peace gone.


Remember 1965 when a fast mustang and we shall overcome was sang

when a baby was born named Rodney King whose debut in Hollywood

came at a time when we first heard the name. And we thought we'd seen it all.


Remember 1975 when Vietnam and napalm went hand in hand

when hippies and soul brothers stopped slapping five and giving dap

when drugs fell into corporate laps and did a reverse hierarchy.


Remember 2001 and 9 11 when people everywhere stood numb.

Started pointing fingers at strangers saying I’m gonna

get you son and the world was changed forever.


Remember today when you gained a friend named Divya

From India and Leslie from Ghana

while Dyhan from Iran and Bomi from Africa opened thier hearts

to Leah from Spain

and no one remembers the hatred of yesterday.

4 comments:

  1. When we truly become human and reach down into our souls, we get to open our minds and our hearts, we can love despite the differences... and where one is unable to love, at least there is some degree of tolerance. Those were definitely not the days. Nice one, Mark :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you like it because now I will choose it for a poetry reading in September. I think you have good taste and certainly fine skills as a poet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. :) Mmmmh... fine skills, you say? I can hardly call them that, but I'm flattered. Thanks, and best wishes for your reading. I imagine that it will be a very strong delivery.

    [I wish you were on wordpress instead, I only lasted a month on blogspot.]

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wordpress I think I will look into it, thanks for thr tip

    ReplyDelete